Pages

Monday, October 20, 2014

Survivor of Boko Haram Attack

I'm still planning to get my "Ashamed, Part Two" post up...but before I do, I thought I'd show this video. Have any of you heard of "Boko Haram"? Well, if you haven't, now's the time to get updated on it. My Sunday School teacher has been sending me and my classmates some videos via email about various things going on around the world. I personally think that it is a good thing to be updated on nationwide news, and I'm glad my teacher thinks so too. One of the videos she sent is this one, about a Boko Haram attack: (Click here)

In case you didn't click on the link because you thought you might as well not waste your time, let me tell you that it isn't a waste. It's almost 20 minutes long, but it's well worth it. At 7 minutes and 18 seconds into the video, the Nigerian man shares a passage of Scripture: John 16:1-4. I admit it, it made me cry.

Four men came to the Nigerian man's house and asked him to deny his faith in Christ. The man refused, and so the Boko Haram men called his wife out of the house and told her to plead with her husband to forsake Jesus Christ. But the man would not denounce his Savior. So they shot him in the head. He ended up living, and when he quoted John 16:1-4, to explain to the interviewer how he had the courage to stand against the Boko Haram men, I was amazed.
These things I have spoken to you, that you should not be made to stumble. They will put you out of the synagogues; yes, the times is coming that whoever kills you will think that he offers God a service. And these things they will do to you because they have not known the Father nor Me. But these things I have told you, that when the time comes, you may remember that I told you of them.
 Wow. And "these things I have spoken to you" are the words spoken in John 15:
"If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of this world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you, 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also. But all these things they will do to you for My name's sake, because they do not know Him who sent Me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would have no sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin. He who hates Me hates My Father also. If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would have no sin; but now they have seen and also hated both Me and My Father. But this happened that the word might be fulfilled which is written in their law, 'They hated Me without a cause.'
"But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me."
Yes, the world hates that man for standing up for his faith. And yet, Jesus has given him the strength to stand firm, despite the odds. He lived through a terrible gunshot that blew out part of his face, and yet he tells that interviewer that Christ has commanded him to love his enemies. And this man is not only loving his enemies on the outside (which would be hard enough), he is loving them on the inside too...he is praying for the members of the Boko Haram. Incredible!

Now go watch the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, there! I absolutely love comments of any sort, so yours are certainly welcome! :) Thanks for making my day!