Pages

Thursday, June 29, 2017

When the Fog Rolls In

(Written Friday, June 23, 2017)

I am sitting here on the porch of a cabin in Colorado, drinking in the scenery (and my coffee, of course) and thinking of how God often uses His creation to teach His children important truths about Him.

Today I am noticing the fog that is creeping down the mountains. It is weaving softly, almost imperceptibly, through hills and valleys, shrouding pine trees and cabins in its soft white blanket. It is only the fog that I can see now - no longer can my eyes rest on the splendor of the mountains...

And yet, even though I can't see the mountains, I am still convinced that they are exactly where they were before the fog descended.

Why?

Because I have seen them when there was no fog.
Because I was scrambling all over them yesterday on a hike with my family.
Because my body can still feel the effects of the climbing I did.

Do I have even the slightest doubt that the mountains are there?

No. Even though at this very moment the fog is thickening and deepening, I have no doubts whatsoever.

What about God? When storms roll in and I can't see my way clearly anymore, do I doubt God's existence? If fog is all I can see, doesn't that mean that He isn't there anymore?

No.

With Moses, the man of God, I can confidently say, "Lord, You have been our dwelling place in all generations. Before the mountains were born or You gave birth to the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God" (Psalm 90:1-2, emphasis mine.)

Amen and amen!

God is my dwelling place, even when the fog rolls in and I can't see clearly. He is the rock upon which I stand. I rest beneath the shelter of His wings - even when those wings are shrouded by fog and invisible to my fallible human eye. I have experienced Him in a way that cannot be refuted by logic or argument or even emotion. So even when the events of my life become foggy and confusing, I have the past to dwell on. The blessings from of old (found in both my life and the lives of the Old/New Testament saints) become my reference point.

If I am so sure that the mountains exist beyond the fog, how can I think anything different about God, who created the mountains?! Even before the earth was made by Him, He was God! He is everlasting! He is unchanging - the same yesterday, today, and forever! If He was there before the fog rolled in, we can be sure that He will still be there when the mists of confusion finally rise.

The more I avail myself upon Him and upon His promise of changelessness, the more confident of His continuous presence I will be.

1 comment:

  1. That is SO beautifully put! I found your blog linked from Instagram and I truly enjoyed how you drew a Bible parallel from your everyday life!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, there! I absolutely love comments of any sort, so yours are certainly welcome! :) Thanks for making my day!